Beef stew. There's no rule that beef stew needs a thickening agent. Beef Stew calls for simple ingredients, but it's a stunner! With meltingly tender beef, you'll love the deep flavour of the sauce in this beef stew recipe.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. This Beef Stew is easy to make and full of comforting flavors. This easy beef stew recipe is my favorite. You can have Beef stew using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Beef stew
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 lbs of stewing beef.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped onions.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of peeled, chopped carrots.
- It’s 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic.
- You need 1 cup of red wine.
- You need 1 tsp of chopped rosemary.
- You need 2 cups of beef stock (or mushroom stock – should be dark stock).
- Prepare 1 cup of drained canned tomatoes whole tomatoes.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 cup of peeled diced parsnips.
- Prepare 1 cup of peeled diced turnip or rutabaga.
- You need 1 cup of peeled diced potatoes.
- Prepare 1 cup of mushrooms sliced.
- Prepare of Sauce 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp flour.
Place one pound of stew meat in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Food Network Kitchen's Beef Stew is a comforting slow-cooked dish filled with meat and veggies. Make and keep warm in a Dutch oven or slow cooker. The best part is that you can make it the day before for the best flavor!
Beef stew step by step
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat the beef dry and season well with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat in the Dutch oven or a heavy skillet..
- Add beef to the Dutch oven or your skillet and cook the meat to Brown it on each side for approximately 4 minutes and set the beef aside in a separate bowl. Reserve any liquid in the skillet or your Dutch oven..
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and cook until soft. Add the garlic and rosemary cook for another minute. Add the red wine and bring to a boil scraping any brown bits that may be on the bottom of your skillet or your Dutch oven..
- Add your stock, tomatoes and bay leaf and bring it to a boil. Return your reserved meat and any juices to your Dutch oven put the cover on and bake in the oven for an hour and a half..
- At the end of this time add the other chopped veggies, mix and cover. Bake again for another 45 minutes to an hour..
- Remove from oven and separate the meat and veggies from your liquid and put the liquid in a measuring cup you should have about two cups of liquid. Remove your bay leaf..
- To make your sauce, heat your oil in a heavy Skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook until the flour turns a nutty brown color for 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly add your reserved liquid and bring it to a boil. Reduce the Heat and simmer for approximately 5 more minutes until the liquid is slightly thickened (you want the liquid to cover the spoon). Toss the sauce with the meat and vegetables that you reserved earlier and season again with salt and pepper if necessary..
Bring to a boil over high heat. When making beef stew, I throw everything in a slow cooker. You can make Martha Stewart's beef stew recipe in the oven or a slow cooker. Melt in your mouth beef stew recipe that is loaded with vegetables and herbs. This braised beef stew recipe is so simple and so melt in your mouth delicious!